Sunday, May 6, 2012

Preliminary Evaluation of Internship Experience


Week Seven:

1.      Intern’s Name:  Erika Anderson

2.      Internship Firm/Organization:  Public Relations and Marketing Department

3.      This internship provides me with an adequate learning experience for my background:  Yes, it has been, but I feel like I may soon get board doing the same ole’ thing. 

4.      My mentor at this organization understands my goals and objectives:  No, I’m not sure that she does.  I think she knows that I want experience, but I don’t think she understand that I also want to do more than just take photos for her. 

5.      I did adequate preparation investigating the sponsoring organization and level of placement before accepting this position: No, I did not investigate this dept. at all.  I figured I knew the basics of what they were about and that’s all I really needed.  Looking back I probably should’ve looked more into what they do and asked for more responsibilities, other than just taking photos.

6.      This organization expects too much work or requires more polished work than I was prepared to do: No, I am not overwhelmed by the work at all.  Sometimes it’s a good amount of work and sometimes it’s not enough.  I’m very busy with other groups, work, and classes in my life right now so overall it’s not too bad to not have a lot of work to do, but at the same time I wish there was more for me to do during the week, or maybe if I could be more involved with the process. 

7.      I cooperate with my colleagues in our work o to accomplish joint goals at the organization:  No, I don’t work with anyone else in the PR Dept.  Caisse and I were going to take photos together at one event, but she had me shoot a different event instead.  But otherwise I usually just work alone. 

8.      I cope with annoying situations without losing my temper or poise: Yes, I believe I do.  I sometimes get a little upset when I go to event that doesn’t have very good lighting, which means I can’t really take photos, but that’s all in my own time.  Whenever I’m with Caisse I keep myself positive and poise.  I don’t let her know that I’m frustrated about an event they sent me to. 

9.      I am eager to learn new skills:  Yes, I am always eager to learn new things, whether it’s random facts or something that may help me further my career.  So far I’ve only really been learning about taking photos inside and how the light is extremely important.  Otherwise I’m not sure I’ve learned as much as I would have liked to. 

10.  I find something new to learn even in the most routine tasks: Yes I would say that I do.  Although going to events and doing the same thing every week can be repetitive, I have learned more about how to take photos inside and every event I learn more about different angles and how I can make a boring picture more interesting.  It’s fun to experiment. 

11.  I consider my internship position challenging and worthy of my talents:  Not exactly no.  Although yes I am learning different ways to take photos, I could be learning that on my own.  I didn’t need an internship to teach myself those tricks.  Not to mention there is o one teaching me anything, I’m learning things on my own.  I think I could be doing much more there with their social media outlets or anything else.  I would like to spend more time with Caisse, and others, learning about what they do, and how they work the social mediums for the school.

12.  My attitude toward colleagues and clients is helpful and concerned: Yes, I am always very respectful and polite towards my colleagues and anyone I meet in my internship.  I find it’s always helpful to put a good step forward.  This way I can make positive connections with people which could help me down the road when looking for a job. 

13.  I easily recognize clients’ needs and then try and assist them:  Yes, I do try to meet everyones needs.  Though, I tend to just go places and take photos.  I only every really have to deal with Caisse.  Sometimes people at the events will ask me to take a certain photo for them, but usually I’m just in the background minding my own business, taking photos. 

14.  I demonstrate ease in initiating conversation with colleagues and clients:  Yes, it is easy for me to approach people that I don’t know and be polite and respectful towards all of them. 

15.  I show confidence and poise in dealing with colleagues and clients:  Yes, I am very confident in the work that I do for the PR Dept. and when I’m dealing with people.  I have no problem with confidence. 

16.  This Organization can point to me with pride as one of their employees:  Yes, I am very hard working and am very positive.  I don’t believe there would be any reason for the PR Dept. to not want to point me out.

17.  I approach all tasks, even low level ones, with enthusiasm and a commitment to excellence: No, I am not always excited to take photos at certain events, but I never show that when I’m there.  It doesn’t matter how I feel, my duty, my job, is to go to where they want me to go and take photos.  So I do what I have to do.  I always do my best work whether or not I like the event or not. 

18.  My work patters and quality of work produced justify the time and money the firm is investing in me:  I believe so yes, though the PR Dept. is not spending any money on me, or really spending much time on me either.  They tell me what to do, I do it, send them the pictures and that’s about it.  But that’s about it.  I do think I have earned what they do for me and more.

19.  I look forward to each day enthusiastically: Generally speaking, yes, but sometimes I am busy non-stop and all I want to do is lay down for a bit, but of course I can’t do that all the time.  I think it’s only natural to have days when you’re tired and not ready to do more work. 

20.  Although this internship is a short-term position, I am personally committed and involved for the present: Yes, I do believe that I am very involved in my internship.  Even though it won’t last much longer, I am still dedicated to do everything I need to do to produce excellent work. 

21.  This internship experience has helped me to clarify future goals: Yes, I believe it has shown me certain things that I like and don’t like about future jobs.  It’s given me some valuable insight on what I may want and not want in a future job.

22.  Describe areas of personal interest and ability that you had not been aware of before working for this organization: Actually I am not sure I have learned anything about myself that I didn’t already know before this internship.  I already knew that I had talent taking photos and working with others is something that I’ve always been good at.  Overall I haven’t learn anything new about myself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment